*I'm going to use Amazon's 5 star sys, b/c that's what I'm used to. I'll try to be fairly spoiler free.*
(things you can glean from the trailer): Lucy gets kidnapped and turned
into a drug mule, but the bag starts leaking. The drug that enters her
system unlocks parts of her mind that no human has ever accessed before.
The drug basically lights up a party in her cells and gives her a bunch
of cool abilities.
Overall Impression: Excellent, fun, exciting, imaginative, very sci-fi.
Story - pretty straightforward, cool concept. The ending's one of
several predictable paths they could have chosen. It fits, but may not
be seen as the most favorable one.
- Scarlett Johannson's acting skills are only really tested in the beginning.
- I don't think that the cover really does the movie justice.
- The movie includes some random chase scenes just so it can qualify for an action flick.
- Most of the really cool action scenes are covered by the trailer.
They probably didn't emphasize the sci-fi connections to avoid the
stigma and typical, gut reactions to the term. Oh some people love
sci-fi, me included, but action probably has a wider movie audience than
- The symbolism is pretty heavy-handed, but it
works. (ie. nature film scenes of a leopard stalking an antelope as
Lucy enters the building ...)
- The switches between
Prof Norman (Morgan Freeman's character) and Lucy (Scarlett Johansson's
character) are fairly smooth, giving a lot of information without tuning
in too long for the straightup lecture.
recommend this movie? Yes. It's short but fun and entertaining. You can
think about it if you want, but you can also just enjoy the ride for
what it is.